International students wishing to study at EXCEL FLIGHT TRAINING INC must submit an application form and official transcripts of secondary school or postsecondary school.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT APPLICATION DEADLINES
International students must have their applications in one month prior to the application deadlines outlined in the ADMISSION section under SUGGESTED APPLICATION DEADLINES. This allows EXCEL FLIGHT TRAINING INC to prepare in advance to the needs of international students.
International students must pay a $200 nonrefundable deposit to hold their seat in the program. Those who do not register and pay within the time allowed, forfeit their place in the program to students on a waiting list.
International students who are studying at EXCEL FLIGHT TRAINING INC while on a student authorization will make all fees as outlined in Canadian Dollars only.
Student Visas must be obtained in the students country of origin. Students are responsible for all arrangements relating to their immigration status.
HEALTH CARE INSURANCE COVERAGE
If you are a student from outside Canada, you may be eligible for AHCIP coverage.
Students under 18 years of age must be added to the AHCIP account of a custodian.
Students who have a 12-month study permit (valid for an Alberta educational institute) and who will reside in Alberta for 12 months or more are eligible for AHCIP coverage and should apply.
Students with study permits valid for more than 3 months, but less than 12 months, may be eligible for AHCIP coverage if their application is accompanied by a letter from the student confirming their intent to reside in Alberta for at least 12 months.
For more information, please visit
Students who are not eligible for AHCIP coverage are strongly encouraged to purchase adequate health care coverage for their stay from an independent provider.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS – ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
The language of instruction and communication at EXCEL FLIGHT TRAINING INC is English only. Regardless of country of origin or citizenship status, all applicants whose first language is not English, must demonstrate proficiency in the English language before they will be permitted to enroll in any program offered. This proficiency demonstration may take any one of several forms, and may include a written and oral examination.
English language proficiency can be demonstrated by any of the following:
1. Successful completion of Advanced ESL at Lethbridge College
2. Successful completion of an Alberta Education English Language Arts course (or Canadian equivalent) that meets the academic requirements of the Flight School
3. A TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 550 on the paper based test, a score of 213 on the computer based test , or a score of at least 79 on the TOEFL iBT
4. An IELTS (International Language Testing System) overall band score of 6.0 with no band score less than 5.5
5. Completion of an Accredited Diploma or Degree at a Canadian post-secondary institution where English is the primary language of instruction
6. An Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) with a minimum of 7 in each strand
Note: Student ESL scores will be kept on file as part of the permanent student record. Scores may be released to the Ministry, upon request, as part of any program review.
CREDENTIAL ASSESSMENT AND RECOGNITION STANDARDS
Students who have previous flight training experience, or hold accredited pilot licences from other countries, other than Canada, will have to consult with Excel Flight Training Inc regarding the ability to credit their experience to the desired flight training program. This may require them to contact Transport Canada to provide details regarding their experience, and may be subject to additional training and or testing to receive accreditation in Canada. As training standards in each country varies, this is dealt with on a case-by-case basis.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT SERVICES
Excel Flight Training Incorporated strives to assist International students as best we can. Please contact us directly for information on the following services available to students:
- Arrival and Orientation Services
- Federal Immigration regulations/requirements information services
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada Regulation information services
- Cross Cultural Communication and Adjustment/Adaptation Services
- Assistance with Locating Suitable Accommodations
- Counselling Support Services
- Health and Social Service Support Services
- Academic Support Services
- Career Counseling Services
Assistance in these areas may be provided by Excel Flight Training Inc employees, or you may be referred to alternative agencies as applicable to the situation.